Meet another Jessup Library librarian

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Judy Carey Nevin, and I'm the reference/instructional librarian at PVCC. My job includes answering people's questions and teaching students, staff and faculty how to use library resources. You have probably met me through an orientation session offered for one of your classes.

I'm from New York State. I lived in the same town all the way from nursery school until the end of high school, then I left home to go to college. I went to SUNY Geneseo, a very small 4-year state school, for my undergraduate degree, and went to Rutgers (New Jersey's state school) for my master's degree. My very first job after getting my library degree didn't have anything to do with being a librarian, though. I worked in NYC as a children's book editor for more than five years. I have been in Virginia for seven years, and during that time I've been a librarian at Monticello High School, and the reference/instructional librarian here at PVCC.

In my spare time I read quite a bit. My favorite books are mysteries, especially those set in modern-day England and Scotland. I play the flute in a small ensemble; you might have heard us at one of the art gallery functions here at PVCC. I'm an avid (some might say obsessed) knitter--I even teach beginning knitting at PVCC--and have recently learned to spin wool on my spinning wheel, and am trying to understand how to crochet. My other obsession is my dog, Henry, who is as spoiled as any critter can be.

I hope you'll come to the library and introduce yourself and ask me questions. My job relies on this, so please help me by asking a lot of questions!