Student's Research Advice: An Interview with Xuled Stiff

It's that time of the year!  Students are finishing their research projects and studying for finals.  We thought we'd ask someone how their research project went this year.  What was hard about it?  What did they learn?  What advice do they have for others?

Xuled Stiff is working on her Associate of Arts degree in Visual and Performing Arts with a specialization in Theater & Drama.  She plans to transfer to a four-year college to get a degree in theater and education.  She hopes to be on the big screen one day!

What projects have you worked on?
XS: American government papers.  I like to have a foundational understanding of what I am working on before I get started on the writing process.  If I don't know how things started, I won't understand what I'm doing.

What have you found to be stumbling blocks?
XS: The wording!  Every time I type something in the search box, I don't get the results I'm looking for, but when I come the librarians for help, they are able to find the information I need.  Also, when I do find information that is not a direct example in the MLA packet, I have a hard time figuring out how to cite the source.  The green packets are helpful, but I still feel like I have a lot of questions about how to cite sources.  I also didn't really utilize the books at the library, but once the librarians introduced me to all the books available, I realized how useful the books can be for research.  They have a lot of information. You don’t have to read the whole book. Use the index and table of contents to see which part of the book you need. The librarians taught me that.

What is something you struggled with in the beginning but feel more confident about now?
XS: I didn’t know where to even start looking for information when I first started at PVCC. Then the librarians showed me that the website is organized the way we are supposed to do research.  Now I know to go to the “Start Here” box and then go into the specifics in the “Find Articles” box. I still come to get help with keyword searches and citations. You guys always seems to know exactly the right words to put into a search.

What have you found to be the most enjoyable part of research?
XS: I do like learning new things so when I finally find the right information, it’s like ahhh, there it is – that light bulb moment. That is enjoyable and a sense of reward.

What have you found the most helpful about the library?
XS: The librarians are the most helpful. They just know where everything is. It’s like when you ask your mom where you left something, and she magically knows where it is. That’s how it is with the librarians. They can find everything.

What advice would you give to a new student or someone that doesn’t feel confident about research?
XS: Go to the library, and ask for help. The "ask for help" part is something people don’t do enough. Also, I think most people think the librarian's job is to put books back on the shelf, but really they are research treasure hunters. They will find that nugget of gold you need. Plus they are a lot more fun than the stereotype.